Thursday, February 17, 2011

Buckle Up




Ralph Lauren Fall 2011 Marcio Madeira/firstVIEW
I have posted before about how I've only recently ventured into the world of accessories -- I think it has to do with the old pregnancy/post-pregnancy body morphing, which has forced me to experiment more with new looks. And belts have been just the best discovery. Sounds a little ridiculous to say I've "discovered" belts but what I mean is, I've finally figured how to make this basic accessory work for me. They literally change up my looks (for the better, I think) in an instant.


I worked them during pregnancy a lot -- to show that I wasn't just a ball of baby (above the bump, just under the bust). And post-pregnancy, they've been a staple -- to show that I actually have a real waist again. So, I couldn't be more excited to see lots of belted looks on the recent runways.  More evidence that such a simple accessory can really make an outfit go from plain to polished. 


Love the velvet waist-cinchers -- over a dress, jacket and sweater -- at Carolina Herrera.

Marcio Madeira/firstVIEW

Marcio Madeira/firstVIEW
Alessandro Viero / GoRunway.com
Marcio Madeira/firstVIEW


Marcio Madeira/firstVIEW
Marcio Madeira/firstVIEW

Donna Karan showed a belt on nearly every look of her collection.
Marcio Madeira/firstVIEW
Marcio Madeira/firstVIEW




Tone on tone at Michael Kors. 

Marcio Madeira/firstVIEW

Marcio Madeira/firstVIEW





















I buy a lot of belts from J.Crew -- I love the skinny patent and metallic versions in different shades. They are super easy to work with and very inexpensive. I wear them with tops (like my staple silk tanks or button-up shirts) under long cardigans or blazers. This past winter, I've also belted a lot of heavy cardies or wrap sweaters. And I love sparkly sashes for night and day (that includes ribbon necklaces - - see my post Simple Statements). The point is to refine your look while adding a bit of hourglass dimension to your shape.

J.Crew

J.Crew

J.Crew

Gap
Gap






No comments:

Post a Comment