Monday, April 4, 2011

Closet Clarity


I am in the process of moving for the third time in four years.  Moving is never easy -- but setting up house again and again has forced me to organize ... and reorganize ... and reorganize my closet again. With each move I've edited down my wardrobe -- I've purged lots of unworn and worn-out clothes and as well as rediscovered old but good pieces. 

In general, I really try and keep my closet tidy -- and I can't tell you how much easier it makes life. Never underestimate an organized closet -- not only does it make getting dressed a less trying task, it helps keeps a clear, peaceful mind and I believe, simply reduces stress. 

Aerin Lauder in her closet. Harper's Bazaar


Aerin Lauder in her closet. Harper's Bazaar

Maybe one day I'll have a huge fancy closet/dressing room like Aerin Lauder, above, or Georgina Chapman, below, but I have been pretty lucky lately with my walk-ins. I have lots of hanging space so I keep everything sorted by category (dressy tops, casual tops, dressier pants, casual pants, jeans, sweaters, jackets, etc...) and within that, by color. Also, sleeve length or skirt length (i.e. tanks to long sleeve, mini to maxi skirt, etc). And I fold all my sweaters by shade (I do hang the ones most in rotation at any given time to avoid wrinkles). Sounds complicated but it works for me.  


Georgina Chapman in her closet. Harper's Bazaar


Georgina Chapman in her closet. Harper's Bazaar


The absolute BEST thing I ever did in terms of organizing my closet was replacing every hanger with thin, velvety ones. I did this a year and a half ago and it was like instant zen -- an aha moment. I tossed the old wire hangers, the busted plastic ones, and all the other odd shaped, mismatched pieces. All my clothes hang perfectly now (no straps falling off). I can fit so much more in my closet and it all just looks so neat and well-maintained.  

I bought these life changers at Costco -- a box of fifty for like $15. I think I made about four trips back to the store for more. I'm sure you can buy them anywhere. Having uniform hangers is a small change that can make a huge difference. Use the onset of spring to clean up and edit down your closet. You'll be shocked at how good it feels. Next task: the kids' closet. On the hunt for pint-size velvet hangers.

How do you organize your closet? Share your tips!



No comments:

Post a Comment